Church History

The History

In 1945, there was a deep concern among the people of the Friendship Community that it was a need for a church.  In 1946, three acres of land were purchased for $51. Blocks were purchased and timber was bought from John Motley for $225.  Ted Babston and Auto Motley proceeded to build the church with the assistance of Wilson Wright, Sr. and Fair Henderson.

For three years, services were held in the little white schoolhouse each first Sunday.  The deacons were E. D. Motley-Chairman, E.T. Mims-Clerk, James Faulkner-Treasurer, and E. G. Motley.  In 1947, Henry Wright, John D. Motley, Clarence Butler, Marzett Mims, and Essie Malachi were all ordained as deacons.

On the first Sunday in September 1948, a dedication service was held.  Rev. T.M. Canty was pastor and served until his death in 1951.

Pastors that have been at Friendship since are: Rev. L.M. Tyus (1952-1954); Rev. Charlie Johnson, Jr. (1954-1960).  Under his leadership Willie T. Durden and Wilson Wright Sr. were ordained as deacons and Hubert Caver joined as a deacon from Shiloh Baptist Church; Rev. James Beard (March 1960-October 1960); Rev. J. Hollis (1961-1963).  Under his leadership David Durden, Ollis Henderson, and John A. DeRamus were ordained as deacons; Rev. S.M. McDaniel (1963-1967); Rev. Roosevelt Brown (1968-1995).  Under his leadership Robert Motley, Sr., Lee Sanders, Hosea Henderson, McCluster Wright, Harvey Motley, John E. Clay, and Sammie Durden were ordained as deacons.  Eldridge Law joined as a deacon from Morning Star Baptist Church.  Rev. Eugene Zeigler and Rev. Willie Smith were licensed and ordained under his leadership as well; Rev. R. C. Wright served as interim pastor in March 1995; Rev. S. B. Little (1995-1998).  Under his leadership we became a full time church and new ministries were added.  In 1997, a ground breaking ceremony was held for the present structure.  Rev. Johnny Davis was called to the ministry and was licensed and ordained under Rev. Nathaniel Brown at Peace Missionary Baptist Church.

On May 3, 1998, Dr. John E. Clay was appointed as interim pastor.  On June 14, 1998, a dedication ceremony was held for the present structure.  On August 2, 1998, Dr. Clay was elected as pastor.  Dr. Clay, Rev. Preston Motley, and Rev. Johnny Davis were all ordained at other churches, but returned home as pastor and associate ministers; Both, Rev. Motley and Rev. Davis are now pastors of their own churches in Prattville, Alabama.  Since 1998, we have paid for the present structure in full, paved the parking area, built a pavilion, purchased additional land, and built a Multi - Purpose Building.  Deacons ordained under Dr. Clay are Franklin Motley, Jerry Motley, Clemon Motley, Curtis Motley, Willie Motley, Jimmy Hunter, Kevin Palmer, Deyampert Fikes, and Ryan Golson.  James Hunter and Willie James Davis joined as deacons from other churches.  Ministers licensed and ordained are Rev. Edward Zeigler, Rev. Lee Kimbrough, and Rev. Darius Kimbrough.  Rev. Felton Henderson was baptized and ordained as well, and is now pastor of his own church in Troy, Alabama.  New members and new ministries have also been added, with the addition of Rev. Fred Belle, Jr., Rev. Nathaniel Brown, Rev. Edward Zeigler, and Rev. Terry Beasley as associate ministers.  Rev. Nathaniel Brown is now pastor of his own church in Autaugaville, Alabama.

Those that have passed are E.G. Motley, E.D. Motley, E.T. Mims, James Faulkner, Essie Malachi, Clarence Butler, John Motley, Henry Wright, Hubert Caver, Robert Motley, Sr., John DeRamus, Sammie Durden, Willie Durden, Marzett Mims, Eldridge Law, Terry Wright - Trustee, Robert Motley, Jr. - Trustee, Willie James Davis, Jimmy Hunter, Hosea Henderson, Wilson Wright, Sr., Rev. Fred Belle, Jr., Edward Golson - Trustee.